Structure and Written Expression
1. Simple photographic lenses cannot ______sharp, undistorted images over a wide field.
(A) to form
(B) are formed
2. Of all the factors affecting agricultural yields, weather is the one ______ the most.
(A) it influence farmers
(B) that influences farmers
(C) farmers that it influences
(D) why farmers influence it
3. Beverly Sills, ______, assumed directorship of the New York City Opera in 1979.
(A) be a star soprano
(B) was a star soprano
(C) a star soprano and
(D) a star soprano
4. ______ of tissues is known as histology.
(A) Studying scientific
(B) The scientific study
(C) To study scientifically
(D) That is scientific studying
5. With the exception of mercury, ______ at standard temperature and pressure.
(A) the metallic elements are solid
(B) which is a solid metallic element
(C) metallic elements being solid
(D) since the metallic elements are solid
6. Potential dehydration is_______ that a land animal faces.
(A) the often greatest hazard
(B) the greatest often hazard
(C) often the greatest hazard
(D) often the hazard greatest
7. By tracking the eye of a hurricane, forecasters can determine the speed at which ____.
(A) is a storm moving
(B) a storm is moving
(C) is moving a storm
(D) a moving storm
8. The Grapes of Wrath, a novel about the Depression years of the 1930 s, is one of John Steinbeck s ______ books .
(A) most famous
(B) the most famous
(C) are most famous
(D) and most famous
9. Technology will play a key role in _______future life-styles.
(A) to shape
(C) shape of
10. The computer has dramatically affected _____photographic lenses are constructed .
(A) is the way
(B) that the way
(C) which way