1. The union representative put across her argument very effectively.
A explained B invented
C considered D accepted
2. He talks tough but has a tender heart.
A heavy B strong
C kind D wild
3. It is no use debating the relative merits of this policy.
A making B taking
C discussing D expecting
4. Our statistics show that we consume all that we are capable of producing.
A waste B buy
C use D sell
5. The fuel tanks had a capacity of 140 liters.
A function B ability
C power D volume
6. Our lives are intimately bound up with theirs.
A tensely B nearly
C carefully D closely
7. Her faith upheld her in times of sadness.
A supported B excited
C inspired D directed
8. The book provides a concise analysis of the country's history.
A clean B perfect
C real D brief
9. It is laid down in the regulations that all members must carry their membership cards at all times.
A suggested B warned
C stated D confirmed
10. The council meeting terminated at 2 o'clock.
A began B continued
C ended D resumed
11. Red flag was placed there as a token of danger.
A sign B substitute
C proof D target
12. However bad the situation is, the majority is unwilling to risk change.
A reluctant B eager
C pleased D angry
13. It has been said that the Acts provided a new course of action and did not merely regulate or enlarge an old one.
A limit B control
C replace D offset
14. The secretary is expected to explore ideas for post-war reconstruction of the area.
A deny B investigate
C stress D create>>