1. I am not certain whether he will come.
A determined B sure
C sorry D glad
2. She seemed to have detected some anger in his voice.
A noticed B heard
C realized D got
3. Please do not hesitate to call me if I can be of further assistance.
A contact B see
C help D touch
4. In short, I am going to live there myself.
A In other words B That is to say
C In a word D To be frank
5. He has trouble understanding that other people judge him by his social skills and conduct.
A style B behavior
C mode D attitude
6. I had some difficulty in carrying out the plan.
A making B keeping
C changing D implementing
7. Mr. Johnson evidently regarded this as a great joke.
A readily B casually
C obviously D simply
8. We all think that Mary's husband is a very boring person.
A shy B stupid
C dull D selfish
9. The workers in that factory manufacture furniture.
A promote B paint
C produce D polish
10. They only have a limited amount of time to get their points across.
A large B total
C small D similar
11. The high-speed trains can have a major impact on travel preferences.
A force B influence
C surprise D power
12. Can you follow the plot?
A change B investigate
C write D understand
13. Even in a highly modernized country, manual work is still needed.
A physical B mental
C natural D hard
14. In the latter case the outcome can be serious indeed.
A result B judgment
C decision D event
15. Norman Blamey is an artist of deep convictions.
A statements B beliefs