1. _____ all our kindness to help her, Sara refused to listen.
2. ____ before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived
B. Would they arrive
C. Were they arriving
D. Were they to arrive
3. ____ conflict among city-states caused the eventual decline of Greek civilization.
4. ____ he's already heard the news.
A. Chances are
B. Chance is
C. Opportunities are
D. Opportunity is
5.____ his knowledge and academic background, he is basically stupid.
A. But for
B. According to
C. For all
D. Thanks to
6. ____ man can now create radioactive elements, there is nothing he can do to reduce their radioactivity.
D. Now that
7. ____ of the burden of ice, the balloon climbed up and drifted to the South.
A. To be free
B. To free
8. ____ should any money be given to a small child.
A. On no account
B. From all account
C. Of no account
D. By all account
9.____ the advances of the science, the discomforts of old age will no doubt always be with us.
A. As for
10. ____ the claim about German economic might, it is somewhat surprising how relatively small the German economy a