1. He was one of the greatest writers _____ had ever lived.
2. He would try to ingratiate himself _____ his clients in order to earn more money.
3. Her address made a great impression _____ the audience.
4. Here is one of the most interesting novels that _____ been published _____ the war.
A. has ... after
B. have ... after
C. have ... since
D. has ... since
5. His companions have threatened to _____ his crimes to the police.
6. His extravagance reduced him _____ for his living.
A. to beg
B. from begging
C. to begging
D. into begging
7. His death _____ with age.
8. His long service with the company was _____ with a present.
9. His novel _____ some light on life in China in Ming Dynasty.
10. His tastes and habits _____ with those of his wife.
11. His wife is quite lazy. Her reluctance to wash her own clothes is a case _____ point.
12. His work is only _____, certainly not distinguished.
13. Hot metal _____ as it grows cooler.
14. Housewiver who do not go out to work often feel they are not working to their full _____.