1. Because air is highly compressible, --- to define a clear upper boundary of the atmosphere.
(A) it is impossible
(B) impossible is
(C) so the impossibility
(D) is the impossibility
2. BASIC, the acronym for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, is a high – level Instruction Code, is a high – level computer programming language ---.
(A) learning relatively simple
(B) related it simply to learning
(C) simple and relative to learn
(D) that is relatively simple to learn
3. --- Frances Perkins held the post of labor secretary for twelve years.
(A) The first woman appointed by a United States President to a cabinet position was
(B) The first woman appointed by a United States President to a cabinet position
(C) Appointed by a United States President to a cabinet position was the first woman who
(D) The first woman was appointed by a United States President to a cabinet position who
4. --- at the turn of the century, the Minnesota State Capitol building is made of white granite and marble.
(B) Was erected
(C) To erect it
(D) Erecting it
5. A stream of volcanic lava flows differently, -- on the sort of ground it flows over.
(A) to depend
(C) that dependent
(D) when it depended
6. --- large amounts of vitamin E found in green leaves, such as lettuce, and in cereals, especially in wheat germ.
(B) They have
(C) There are
(D) Because of
7. A popular belief --- radio and television have homogenized the language of the United States. (A) states that
(B) that is stated
(C) that states
(I) stating that 8. The astronomical unit is the average distance of the Earth from the Sun --- is the standard of distances in the Solar System.
(B) also (C) in addition (D) because
9. In 1952 Ernest Hemingway pub