Decide which of the choices given below would correctly complete the passage if inserted in the corresponding blanks. Mark the correct choice for each blank on your ANSWER SHEET.?
The United States is well?known for its network of major highways designed to help a driver get from one place to another in the shortest possible time. ___1these wide modern roads are generally ___2 and well maintained, with___3 sharp curves and straight sections, a direct route is not always the most ___4 one. Large highways often pass ___5 scenic areas and interesting small towns. Furthermore, these highways generally ___6 large urban centers, which means that they become crowded with ___7traffic during rush hours, ____ 8 the "fast, direct" route becomes a very slow route.?
However, there is almost always another route to take ___9 you are not in a hurry. Not far from the ___10 new "superhighways", there are often older, ___11heavily traveled roads which go through the countryside. ___12 of these are good two lane roads; others are uneven roads curving through the country. These secondary routes may go up steep slopes, along high ___13, or down frightening hillside to towns ___14 in deep valleys. Through these less direct routes, longer and slower, they generally go to places ___15 the air is clean and scenery is beautiful, and the driver may have a chance to get a fresh, clean view of the world.?
1. A. Although B. Since C. Because D. Therefore?
2. A. stable B. splendid C. smooth D. complicated?
3. A. little B. few C. much D. many?
4. A. terrible B. possible C. enjoyable D. profitable?
5. A. to B. into C. over D. by?
6. A. lead B. connect C. collectD. communicate?
7. A. large B. fast C. high D. heavy?
8. A. when B. for C. but D. that?
9. A. unless B. if C. as D. since?
10. A. relatively B. reg