1. Charles Babbage is generally considered ________the first computer.
A. to have invented B. inventing C. to invent D. having invented
2. Little Jim should love ________to the theatre this evening.
A. to be taken B. to take C. being taken D. taking
3. — I usually go there by train.
— Why not ________by boat for a change?
A. to try going B. trying to go C. to try and go D. try going
4. John was made ________the truck for a week as a punishment.
A. to wash B. washing C. wash D. to be washing
5. She reached the top of the hill and stopped ________on a big rock by the side of the path.
A. to have rested B. resting C. to rest D. rest
6. She pretended________ me when I passed by.
A. not to see B. not seeing C. to not see D. having not seen
7. Though he had often made his sister ________, today he was made ________by his sister.
A. cry; to cry B. crying; crying C. cry; crying D. to cry; cry
8. Tell him ________the window.
A. to shut not B. not to shut C. to not shut D. don’t’ shut
9. ________her sick to think of the matter.
A. That made B. That caused C. It made D. It caused
10. The woman’s job is ________after the disable children.
A. look B. looks C. looked D. to look
11. She ________to ________everything.
A. demanded; tell B. demanded; be told C. required; tell D. required; be told
12. It’s time ________our league meeting.
A. to begin B. beginning C. that we begin D. that we’ll begin
13. That day I was the last one ________the experiment.
A. made B. making C. to make D. having made
14. I’m hungry. Get me something ________.
A. to be eaten B. to eat C. eating D. to be eating
15. Would you ________me to show you around the place?
A. let B. like C. mind D. care
16. She is said ________the necklace.
A. that she lost B. that she has lost C. to lose D. to have lost
17. What do you think is the best way ________the problem?
A. to settling B. in which settling C. to settle D. settling
18. You are ________retell the story.
A. ought B. ought to C. expecting D. expected to
19. I didn’t want the problem ________again.
A. to raise B. to be raised C. being raised D. be raised
20. Have you had the nurse ________your son’s temperature?
A. to take B. taking C. take D. taken
21. First we should find a hotel ________for the night.
A. to put up at it B. in order to put up at C. at where to put up D. at which to put up
22. ________wake me up when you come in.
A. You’d better not to B. You’d better not C. You hadn’t better to D. You hadn’t better
23. I don’t think you need ________ today.
A. to leave B. to be leaving C. leaving D. being left
24. We have been looking for the girl all the morning, but she is no where ________.
A. to see B. to be seen C. being seen D. seen
25. He should ________for what he has done.
A. praise B. be praised C. have praised D. to be praised
26. He felt a stone ________his back.
A. hitting B. to hit C. hitted D. hit
27. I hurried to school, only ________out it was Sunday.
A. find B. to find C. found D. would find
28. Here are some exercises that need________ after class.
A. done B. to be done C. being done D. to do
29. I’ve been waiting for half an hour ________me the phone call.
A. to give B. for you giving C. of you to give D. for you to give
30. Everything ________smoothly.
A. seems going B. seems to be going C. is seeming to go D. is seeming to be going
31. It was thoughtful ________us the map of the city.
A. of you to send B. for you to send C. of you sending D. for you sending
32. You are fortunate ________as a member of the club.
A. being accepted B. to accept C. To have accepted D. to have been accepted
33. ________wasn’t pleasant ________up so early.
A. He; to wake B. He; to be waken C. It; of him to wake D. It; to be woken
34. I find these problems are easy________.
A. to work out B. to be worked out C. in working out D. to be worked them out
35. How rude ________him ________a child like that.
A. of; to treat B. for; to treat C. of; is to treat D. for; is to treat
36. It was stupid ________him ________attend the lecture.
A. of; to not B. of; not to C. for; to not D. for; not to
37. It was impossible ________lost time to ________.
A. for; make up B. of; make up C. for; be made up D. of; be made up
38. The shoes are too large ________.
A. to me to wear B. for me to wear C. to me to be worn D. for me to be worn
39. ________was sorry________ made such a silly mistake.
A. It; to have B. It; having C. I ; to have D. I; having
40. I’ll be delighted ________.
A. when I’ll see you again B. to see you again
C. that I see you again D. to have seen you again
41. He was ________tired ________any further.
A. too; walking B. too; to walk C. so; walking D. so; to walk
42. Will you be ________kind ________make tea for me?
A. so; to B. fairly; to C. so; as to D. fairly; as to
43. The chair looks rather hard, but in fact it is very comfortable to ________.
A. sit B. sit on C. be sat D. be sat on
44. I ________how to answer the question.
A. puzzle B. am puzzling C. have puzzled D. am puzzled
45. Have you decided ________the party?
A. whether you hold B. why to hold C. whether to hold D. if to hold
46. He doesn’t know ________to stay or not.
A. if B. either C. neither D. whether he ought
47. Last summer I took a course on ________.
A. how to make dresses B. how dresses be made
C. how to be made dresses D. how dresses to be made
48. He hesitated ________ the medicine.
A. taking B. about to take C. whether he take D. whether to take
49. How do the birds know exactly ________ direction ________?
A. which, flying B. which; to fly to C. in which; to fly D. X; flying to
50. — I don’t know ________with the problem.
— Why not ________your teacher for advise?
A. what to do; to ask B. how to do; to ask C. what to do; ask D. how to do; ask
51. I think he should get a job, but you can’t force him ________ if he’s not ready ________.
A. to get; to B. to get; X C. to; X D; to; to do
52. — Would you like to go to the ball?
— Yes, ________.
A. I’d B. I’d like C. I’d like to D. I’d like to go
53. — Aren’t you in charge of this?
— No, and I ________.
A. don’t want B. don’t want to C. don’t want to be D am not
54. ________the truth, I don’t want to go.
A. To tell B. Tell C. Telling D. In order to tell
55. I’d rather read something at home than ________to the park in such weather.
A. go B. to go C. going D. went
56. We could do nothing but ________Father for help.
A. ask B. asking C. to ask D. asked
57. He wanted nothing but ________in the corner.
A. seat B. be seated C. be seat D. to be seated
58. It ________about two years________ such a big dam.
A. takes; in building B. takes; to build C. needs; in building D. needs; to build
59. How much did ________cost ________the house?
A. it; in rebuilding B. he; in rebuilding C. it; to rebuild D. he; to rebuild
60. ________requires patience ________a good nurse.
A. She; to be B. she; if she is C. It; to be D. It; if she is
1. Peter ________come with us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet.
A. must B. can C. may D. will
2. — Could you borrow your dictionary?
— Yes, of course you ________.
A. might B. will C. can D. should
3. A computer ________think for itself, it must be told what to do.
A. can’t B. couldn’t C. may not D. might not
4. I didn’t hear the phone, I ________asleep.
A. must be B. must have been C. should be D. should have been
5. There was plenty of time, she ________.
A. mustn’t have hurried B. couldn’t have hurried C. must not hurry D. needn’t have hurried
6. The plant is dead. I ________it more water.
A. will give B. would have given C. must give D. should have given
7. Very loud noises ________make people ill, hurt their ears, or even drive them mad.
A. must B. need C. can D. should
8. He asked me for the dictionary many times; please tell him that he ________have it tomorrow.
A. must B. need C. may D. dare
9. — Why is she still standing there?
— She ________be waiting for her boyfriend.
A. can B. must C. dare D. need
10. Two eyes________ see more than one.
A. can B. must C. might D. shall
11. What ________he mean? ________you tell me?
A. can; May B. can; Can C. may; May D. must; Should
12. How ________he say that his teacher was unfair?
A. must B. might C. could D. need
13. It ________be very cold in this part.
A. can B. ought C. shall D. dare
14. I’d like to ask a question if I ________.
A. must B. will C. may D. might
15. Even in summer the temperature ________suddenly drop below freezing.
A. might B. ought C. must D. need
16. He decided to join the army so that he ________defend the country.
A. may help B. might help C. helps D. helped
17. You ________always be talking like that.
A. mightn’t B. mayn’t C. can’t D. mustn’t
18. The car ________have broke down just when we were about to start off.
A. must B. could C. might D. should
19. You ________see him while he is in hospital.
A. have better B. had better C. would rather D. had to
20. There is a fine sunset; it ________to be a fine day tomorrow.
A. ought B. should C. has to D. has better
21. You are his father, you ________take care of him.
A. might B. ought C. ought to D. are able to
22. That’s all. It ________be talked about any more.
A. needn’t B. mightn’t C. darn’t to D. needn’t to
23. The question ________discussing.
A. needs B. need C. can be D. must be
24. He ________even look out of the window.
A. daren’t B. daresn’t C. dared not to D. dares not
25. I’m so hungry that I ________find something to eat.
A. have to B. would C. may D. can
26. All the students ________do their best for the modernization of our country.
A. can B. should C. may D. might
27. You ________be careful with your homework.
A. must B. have to C. may D. are used to
28. It is getting darker. You ________not go home.
A. had better B. have better C. would rather D. would like
29. I ________what happened to our school.
A. would like know B. would like to know
C. would like knowing D. would like that I know
30. — Would you mind my changing the plan?
A. Oh, no, please B. Yes, I mind not C. No, I would D. Yes, I will
31. — It ________ be Jack who is in the library.
— I’m sure it ________be him, I saw him off at the railway station just two days ago.
A. can’t; can’t e B. must; mustn’t C. must; can’t D. can’t; mustn’t
32. I ________tell her the truth about his marriage.
A. can’t help B. can’t but C. may not help D. mustn’t but
33. Since she is angry, we ________.
A. had better to leave her along B. should leave her alone
C. would rather to leave her alone D. must leave her alone
34. Look! What you’ve done to me. You ________more careful.
A. maybe B. had to C. should have been D. would be
35. ________read the letter for you?
A. Would you like me B. Do you want me C. Will you mind me D. Shall I
36. He promised he ________not make such silly mistakes.
A. would B. should C. might D. could
37. ________it be true that his father will go abroad?
A. Can B. May C. Need D. Should
38. Those streams are so small that they ________be shown in the maps.
A. mustn’t B. may not C. can’t D. may
39. — May I use your bike?
A. No, you may not B. No, you mustn’t C. No, you won’t D. Sorry, I’m afraid not
40. — Must I write to her?
— No, you ________.
A. mustn’t B. shouldn’t C. can’t D. don’t have to
41. — Need I start tonight?
— Yes, you ________.
A. do B. need C. must D. may
42. The old man ________sit for hours watching the ships.
A. would B. should C. was used to D. would rather to
43. If the telephone ________ring, please wake me up.
A. would B. should C. will D. might
44. I wish they ________stop making remarks about me.
A. would B. will C. should D. shall
45. You’re thirsty, aren’t you? ________he get some coffee?
A. Does B. Shall C. Would D. Let
46. Which of the following is wrong?
A. That may be true. B. That might be true. C. That can be true. D. That could be true.
47. — Would you lend me some money?
— Yes, I ________.
A. would B. will C. can D. may
48. He ________ swimming when he was young.
A. was used to go B. got used to go C. used to going D. used to go
49. You say you ________ not do it, but I say you ________do it.
A. will; shall B. shall; shall C. shall; will D. will; will
50. You ________out yesterday without a coat. No wonder you caught cold.
A. should have gone B. shouldn’t have gone C. could not have gone D. might have gone
51. He ________the 8:30 train because he didn’t leave home until 9:00.
A. can’t catch B. couldn’t catch C. may not D. can’t have caught
52. You ________us this because we had more than enough.
A. needn’t bring B. needn’t have brought C. mustn’t bring D. couldn’t have brought
53. — He learnt the language in three months.
— He ________very hard.
A. must work B. might have worked C. must have worked D. might work
54. — Who told you my telephone number?
— I don’t remember. It ________Mary.
— It can’t be Mary, she doesn’t know it.
A. may have been B. can have been C. must be D. can be
55. You ________him, why didn’t you?
A. ought to thank B. ought have thanked C. ought to have thanked D. ought thank
56. I ________have arrived a little earlier, but my car broke down.
A. should B. could C. can D. can’t
57. — ________we go out for a walk?
— Great. Let’s go
A. Shall B. Will C. May D. Should
58. Though she was seriously ill, she ________ complete the work in time.
A. would B. was able to C. was possible to D. might
59. — Would you like to play chess with me?
— Yes, ________.
A. I’d B. I would C. I’d like D. I’d like to
60. Tom is late. He ________the wrong bus.
A. must take B. must have taken C. might take D. could take